1.04.2011

Loreal Sulfate Free Shampoo

I just started using Loreal's EverPure Sulfate Free Shampoo.  It is $5.95 at Target!!  They sell the conditioner, but my current conditioner doesn't have sulfate in it.  So, I'll finish what I have and buy this conditioner next.  They also have this shampoo for color treated hair.  My mom uses Pureology, also sulfate free, but is around $30.  This is a great deal.  I notice a significant difference in my hair.  I can go several days before it starts to get greasy and my hair is so soft. 

You may be wondering why Sulfate Free?  This blurb from a website explainsWhy?? (not the most credible website, but hey, this is not a research paper :) )
 
"One of the main ingredients in most shampoo is Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), or Sodium Lauryl Ether (aka Sodium Laureth Sulfate) (SLES). These are surfactants, which in basic terms is a detergent, and it helps shampoo lather well. Sure, a nice lather always seems nice, but it isn’t without problems, and that has led to an increase in the number of sulfate free hair products on the market. There are a number of issues with Sulfates as a shampoo ingredient:
  • It can aggravate acne and can act as an irritant.
  • It can be hard on hair color
  • It has been linked to cancer, although only in much larger amounts than what you would find in your hair products
  • It you do keratin hair straightening treatments, it will decrease the length of time that your treatment remains active"
The website goes on to say it can alleviate acne issues and makes color last longer, I have heard up to 32 washes! 

Needless to say, I've said goodbye to all those cheap, making-my-hair-greasy-the-next-day shampoos and HELLLLOOOOO to Sulfate Free!  Try it and let us know if you can tell a difference!

No comments: