7.04.2011

Lip Junkie: Product Reviews

On the weekends I try to tackle one area of my apartment and tidy.. a little.. ok just sometimes, when I'm especially motivated! ;) My makeup area definitely needs attention! In trying to bring some order, I was almost embarrassed when I noticed I'm a huge lip product junkie! My lip balm and lip gloss collection is slightly out of control!

Rationalizations for my problem: Last year before getting married I bought many different products to try to get my lips kissably smooth.. who wants to see chapped lips in wedding pictures? Not this girl. Also, lip balms are typically  a more affordable beauty product impulse buy - too easy to stock pile! 

Here are some hits (and a few misses) .. from a chap stick junkie just in time to help get those dry summer lips in control! These 10 items are currently in my possession:
1. Burt's Bees original - Sure to be familiar to everyone! My oldest friend, this standard has a yummy mint tingly ability that makes it addicting. This product used to be my go-to favorite, until I met #8.

2. Burt's Bees acai berry - Being a junkie anytime I see a new Burt's Bees product, I just have to try it. This was a bit of a disappointment. No mint tingly goodness, and not very effective at healing chapped lips! 

3. L'Occitane - I picked this up before my wedding after reading about it in a magazine, and it fell short. It's too waxy and doesn't glide on, and is just kinda cakey. Not worth the price. Would not buy again. 
 
4. Eos Sweet Mint - My newest find! I'm sure you're not surprised I was most attracted to the packaging! It's not as quality as #8, but I'm a sucker for mint, and feel that this isn't just a fun package, it actually works and has a similar Burt's Bees tingle! 

5. Palmer's Swivel Stick - This fun balm is the size of glue stick, which adds to its appeal! It actually is a great product too! The light cocoa butter is very soothing, and a change from all my favorite minty products!

6. Nivea - Not sure when/ why I picked this one up? It's the sickness, I guess. Not great, wouldn't recommend. 

7. Laura Mercier Lip Silk - Another pre-wedding purchase! At first I hated this product and was so bummed I shelled out some money on this! Somehow after a few months, the product became more soft, and now I love it! I keep this by my bed and apply it at night! It's less glossy/ goopy than #9!

8. Carmex mint - my newest favorite!! I find it's MUCH better than Burt's Bees - I don't have to keep reapplying throughout the day. The mint version makes it less medicine-y than the original. If you can find it, give it a try! I think you'll become fast friends!

9. Kiehl's original - next to Burt's Bees, my oldest favorite! The flavor is not especially delicious (like #10, mango) but it works! Perfect to apply before bed time, but be warned, it's a little glossy and may not be loved by your bed mate!

10. Kiehl's mango - a fun twist on the original, but in my opinion, not as good at staying or moisturizing, but the flavor is simply delicious! This one stays in my purse! 

Summary:
-My favorites: #4, 5, 7, 8, 9
-Nice, but not as fabulous: #1, 10
-Would not buy again: #2, 3, 6

Not pictured, but also in my collection: 
-Carmex cherry and strawberry -- it's nearly impossible to find the mint, so in helping me look, family picked these up for me. They're just ok - I find it too similar to the original and has a funny taste.
-Eos summer fruit - I couldn't find the sweet mint at first and was disappointed in this product. The scent was nice, but too light. The sweet mint is much better!

What did I miss? What are your favorite lip balms??

No comments: